[mapserver-users] Meteorological implementations?

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Oct 22 16:19:57 EDT 2002

Describe what you guys mean by station data? MapServer may just
be a piece of the puzzle. TrueType lines where added specifically with
meteorological data in mind.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Sean Gillies <sgillies at frii.com> 10/21/02 10:36AM >>>
Gerry,

I'm not using Mapserver for any wx stuff, but I know
the software well and I've seen tons of weather maps.

Mapserver by itself is not going to be a good tool
for displaying station data.  If you had isopleths,
fronts, troughs, etc. as vectors, and maybe even
radar echos as rasters, Mapserver would be
great for rendering these.  You'd need some extra
functionality for station data unless you could
come up with a creative hack like turning station
plots into shapes in a shapefile.

If I were doing it, I'd use Mapserver or mapscript
to make a base map, and then merge it with custom
station data imagery created using the Python Imaging
Library or Python or Perl script interfaces to the
GD library.

cheers,
Sean