[mapserver-users] Can't load .... mapscript.so for module map script

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Tue Oct 29 14:30:41 EST 2002

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your advice. Not running ldconfig was the problem (all these
multiple operating systems are driving me crazy... I am new at Linux).

For the benefit of others who may scan this in search for answers.

If installing on Linux (maybe true for other OSs as well, but not for MacOS
X) --

first edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add /usr/local/lib, then run

/sbin/ldconfig

after make install-ing every library.

Further info on ldconfig is available at

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/l/ldconfig.html

(thanks Norman).

In short, ldconfig is a System administration command. It examines the
libraries in the given directories, /etc/ld.so.conf, /usr/lib, and /lib;
updates links and caches where necessary. Usually is run in startup files or
after the installation of new shared libraries.

..