[mapserver-users] map scale questions

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Sun Sep 1 17:28:46 EDT 2002

Did I answer this earlier? I forget...

On Friday, August 30, 2002, at 04:13  PM, gabriel wrote:

> Dear Listers.
>
> I have some images on JPG - Bitmaps JPEG format:
>
> width 500 pixels, height 400 pixels, dpi X: 72, dpi Y: 72, compataction:
> JPEG, type: RGB 24 bits.
>
> ..
>
> What is the best format (full information) to display the images on MS ?

the best format really is mostly PNG. It is opensource, it is better
quality than jpegs, at least for mapping purposes, and supports
transpencies if you ever were to need 'em.

> I have Corel Photo-Paint or Photoshop to convert the format ?
>
> I'd like to display them with full color.

convert them using any program. PNG supports 24-bit color... everything
that is good about gif and jpeg, and nothing that is bad.

More info at http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/

hth.

pk/