[mapserver-users] Java - Mapserver

James Macgill j.macgill at geography.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Sep 2 06:58:42 EDT 2002

At 14:16 30/08/2002 -0400, Dave McIlhagga wrote:
Hi, first off I should say that as one of the lead developers on GeoTools
my opinions may be biased ;-)

>I'm not sure that GeoTools can quite replace everything that MapServer has
>to offer.  For one thing, there is a heavy reliance on client-side java
>which is not an option for many (if not most?) MapServer users/developers.

What you say is absolutely right for the first version of GeoTools (now
known as GT1) which used Java1.1 only code and was targeted directly at
clients.  However, for the last 8 months or so we have started from a clean
slate and developed a new version of GeoTools (GT2) using Java1.4 which is
aimed far more at the server side than the old code base.  GT2 follows the
OGC specs where possible and builds on the excellent Java Topology Suite.

In fact, we have just put up a first implementation of the WMS spec with
support for the new Styled Layer Descriptors from the OGC.  It's still a
little slow at the moment but SLD does allow for very good control over the
appearance of map features.

The WMS currently supports Shapefiles and PostGIS (MIF/MID and GML should
be easy to add as there are datasource implementations in GT2).  Right now
we are working on improving performance, checking conformance (it works ok
with the cubewerx client) and developing a configuration script (something
like the map files in mapserver but in XML)

If you're interested, I can send you the .war file to play with or provide
details for obtaining the whole GT2 codebase.

All the best

James

--
James Macgill