[mapserver-users] how to make the mapserv cgi work

Blaise Picinbono bpicinbono at esquirolcad.fr
Mon Sep 2 05:25:49 EDT 2002

Hi the list

help wanted

I'm fine with mapserver cgi working on my local server (windows and linux).
Now, Iwant to make it work on my internet site.
As the web server is running under Linux, I compile mapserver_361 (I tried also with mapserver_362)
(./configure, make) and I put the result mapserv to my cgi-bin directory.
When I hit the cgi (http://www.mydomain/cgi-bin/mapserv), I've got a window telling me if I want to open or download the file. I think it is because without any extension, the server doesn't understand the script tobe an executable.
So I change the name to mapserv.cgi; and now the sever answer me "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request".
I made sure that the cgi-bin repertory isreadable and executable for everybody, as well as my mapserv (or mapserv.cgi) file.
I'm wondering if the trouble come from the fact my server only work with perl script and mapserv is not written in perl.
Is it true ? Is mapserv a perl script ? If not, in which langage is it written ?
Do you have any information about installing mapserver on remote internet sever ?

thanks in advance
Blaise

bpicinbono at esquirolcad.fr