[mapserver-users] external links in a map

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Wed Sep 4 14:56:33 EDT 2002

Ian -

While I don't disagree with your general approach, I think this is a very reasonable feature for MapServer, and I've been looking at it a bit myself.  If it's reasonable to let MapServer generate point symbols or polygons on a map image, and it's reasonable for MapServer to have a "query" mode in which you click on those things to produce querymaps of that feature, then I think it's equally reasonable for that server to generate flyover labels, etc. for the same feature.  It happens that HTML requires a completely different set of tags (imagemap) to do such a thing, but that's not MapServer's fault nor is it a good reason to not want MapServer to generate them.

What I do not particularly want is two SEPARATE tools traversing the same data set to generate two related outputs unless there's a deterministic way to ensure they are consistent.  If GeoTools and MapServer don't render a polygon feature exactly the same way, my imagemap won't agree with my image.  That may or may not be important to my application.

GeoTools is CERTAINLY worth investigating for this particular problem, but do think that it's a reasonable thing to want MapServer to do.  Another good tool philosophy is that if you've got one tool that already knows how to do 90% of the job, it might be helpful to add the other 10%.  I think they're both useful ways of looking at a problem.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.