[mapserver-users] external links in a map

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Thu Sep 5 08:32:57 EDT 2002

Ian Turton wrote:

> I think you're really looking for a smart client to be able to do that
> for you.

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but isn't that  just what we are all looking
for? MapServer really is a great Open Source product (I don't find it
bloated at all, did you ever look at ArcInfo?), but its main strength,
like so many OS programs, lies in server side processing. I haven't
worked as much with GeoTools as with MapServer, but every time I see it
I think, Gee, I would like to use this client interface with MapServer.
I think Steve Lime meant something like that too in his reaction. If you
are working on server side processing in GeoTools 2, why not add some
kind of bridge to MapServer? The CGI interface is essentially quite
simple, so adding functionality for it alongside your Java
server-processing shouldn't be too much of a problem. Both products
working together would certainly be a more powerful combination than the
sum of the two of them in isolation.

Just my 2 eurocent of opinion

>  Maybe this is just because I'm a sad old unix hacker ....

Cheer up Ian. Remember Coleridge's Ancient Mariner, who woke up not only
a sadder, but also a wiser man.

Jan

Jan Hartmann
Department of Geography