[mapserver-users] New tool to check out

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Sep 19 11:17:24 EDT 2002

Tom,

Yes, I have a Tiger based geocoder that already works as a service.
The question becomes how do you want the API to look.

What I did with the Tiger geocoder was to write a php wrapper around
it so you could call it as a php function, like

   $results = geocoder($name, $country, $dbflags, $exact);

and $results would be either a hashed array with keys like:

STATUS   = error return code if it encountered a problem
COUNT    =  number of db hits returned
NAME      = array of names, COUNT long
LAT          = array of LAT values, COUNT long
LON         = array of LON values, COUNT long

it would be possible to do something similar for the vmap0 or any
mapserver app to fetch map pages or to fetch map images if you just
wanted to imbed them as static images on a page. I haven't played
with WMS features yet but that is what they are designed for right?

-Stephen Woodbridge
 http://iMapTools.com