[mapserver-users] New tool to check out

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Sep 19 21:24:59 EDT 2002

Hugues,

There is a lot of data behind this demo and one of the biggest
challenges is finding good data. There is a lot of data for the US
that is collected and made available by the US government. There is
also some data made available by the US government for other
countries.

So I will briefly explain what I did to create this demo.

1) vmap0 - is the data from www.nima.gov. It is vector map level 0
(vmap0) data which is a 1:1,000,000 scale vector data for the whole
world.

2) the vmap0 data is in a proprietary VPF format that needs to be
converted into shape files and have a Mapserver application build
around it. I used maplab to build the basic application and mapfile
and then did some customization of it.

3) the Where in the world? geocoder required collecting various
datasets from NIMA and USGS sources and loading them into a MySQL
database and then writing a PHP app to talk with the user and then
point to the Mapserver application. Again this piece required getting
good data and then writing an application around the data.

I use Perl, C and/or PHP depending on what needs to be done. Perl is
great for parsing data and loading the databases, PHP is great for
developing Mapscript applications and web user interfaces and C for
servers and where performance is an issue.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,
  -Stephen Woodbridge
   http://iMapTools.com