[mapserver-users] zoom box in JavaScript (not Java)

Andrew Haigh lists.ahaigh at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Sep 29 14:17:24 EDT 2002

I'm not sure if this will work or not but try something this:

1. Place the map image tag in a <div id="mapdiv" etc>. (Make the dive
the same size as the image)
2. Modify the ESRI code, so it doesn't use frames (although it might be
easier to rewrite it -  I think).
3. Get the user to draw the drag box, when the user has finished, you've
got the mouse start and end co-ordinates.
4. Get the location of the div "mapdiv" using the getElementByID
javascript function, to get a handle on the div and then read its X and
Y values.

I'll give it a try, when I get a chance.

Let me know how you get on if you try it.

This code will only work for IE6+ and NN6+ (I think) although I've lost
my JavaScript book!

Andrew