[mapserver-users] MrSID Support in Mapserver

Vic Kelson vic at wittmanhydro.com
Mon Sep 30 15:21:38 EDT 2002

Lowther, David W wrote:

>Howdy All,
>
>Just wondering if there was planned support for the MrSid imagery in
>upcoming releases.

I looked into this once; we were in a booth right next to the folks from
Lizard Tech earlier this year. The MrSID developer's kit has a low-low
price of $25,000 <choke> and you need it to compile applications, which
would be a MAJOR pain for mapserver folks since we often "roll our own".
 I don't have $25,000 lying around...

Perhaps someone with connections could contact the Lizards and see if
they would make some provision for a fine open-source product like
Mapserver.  Just a notion: maybe the model that Lucent follows for their
Linux modem driver would work -- a binary-only free (as in beer) library
that includes an appropriate mapserver API? The only problem I can see
is that clever folks might use the library to do  things other than
mapserver, which would (appropriately) irritate the Lizard Tech folks.

Another strategy would be to make a "stub" MrSID application that
extracts a GEOTIFF image given a bounding-box and drops it into a
temporary directory, then mapserv would simply read the file. This would
require a mapfile extension that provides a command to be executed prior
to drawing a layer (Ooooooh, that isn't a bad idea even without the
MrSID stuff. It would simplify some very powerful CGI extensions,
because you could dynamically generate layers to be drawn while still
making use of the mapserver HTML templates!). Easy to implement? Yes. A
bit disgusting? Yes. Slow? Maybe (although this could be offset by the
use of a temporary ramdisk in Linux). But it wouldn't require linking to
the MrSID library, thus protecting Lizard Tech from unauthorized (ab)use
of their library; it would also protect mapserver from changes to the
LizardTech library.  Furthermore, if the MrSID developer's kit can
produce royalty-free applications, any kindly benefactor in the
mapserver community who already has the developer's kit could implement
it and distribute binaries...

My two cents.
Vic