[Mapserver-users] Re: How to change the sequence of layers ???

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Sat Aug 2 15:17:36 EDT 2003

--- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, Josef Stromský
<Josef.Stromsky.hgf at v...> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Im programming a simple WWW map browser(Java Applet). My question is:
>
> Is possible to generate raster output from MapServer with required sequence
> of layers ???
>
> I've found just one way, and it is: everytime generate a new MapFile
> (*.map).

as mentioned by Stepan, layer order is determined by the order in which they appear
in the map file.

Java applet itself is client-side... so, for the moment let's forget about it. You have to
control the order of the layers on the server side before the whole thing is put
through the grinder and an image is created.

You can either create a new mapfile on the fly, or use mapscript to control the order
in which the layers appear (effectively the same thing). If the "required sequence" is
changing based on user-input, just grab the cgi variables (form or url) to control the
order in which the layers will appear before generating the image.