[Mapserver-users] mapscript saveimage & transparency

Charlton Purvis cpurvis at asg.sc.edu
Mon Aug 4 12:59:02 EDT 2003

Hi, folks:

If I have the following code. . .
   $url = $oImage->saveImage("");
. . . I get a beautiful (and correct) image in my browser (BTW header
stuff is properly set).
   Good image:
http://caro-coops.org/~cpurvis/misc/transparent_stdout.png.

But let's say I want to save it for later use, so I do a . . .
   $url = $oImage->saveImage("/tmp/ms_tmp/charlton.png");
. . . the resulting image is not the same.
   Bad image:
http://caro-coops.org/~cpurvis/misc/transparent_tofile.png.

So for kicks, if I do this . . .
   $url = $oImage->saveImage("/tmp/ms_tmp/charlton.png");
   $url = $oImage->saveImage("");
. . . I end up w/ the same kind of image from the second scenario.  I
would have thought that I would have gotten the good image.

This is based on a .map which contains:
  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME png
    DRIVER "GD/PNG"
    MIMETYPE "image/png"
    IMAGEMODE RGBA
    EXTENSION "png"
    TRANSPARENT ON
  END
  LAYER
    NAME "elevation_surge"
    TRANSPARENCY 40

If I turn transparency off, the images on disk and the images coming
back from stdout are identical.

MS 3.7dev, gd-2.0.15, gdal-1.1.8

Any ideas?

Thanks,