[Mapserver-users] Mapserver/Mapscript and MySQL 4

Matthew Smith matt at kbc.net.au
Mon Aug 4 20:51:46 EDT 2003

Hi All

I have an application where I need to:
* Create a layer from a shapefile
* Create an overlying layer of data from a database query.

I am using MySQL 4.0.x, so MyGIS mentioned in the Wiki is out, although
it would have been the preferred solution.

I guess that means that I'll have to generate everything with Mapscript
instead - no real hardship since I do just about everything else in Perl.

Can anyone point me at an example similar to what I'm trying to achieve
(one layer from a shapefile, one from DBI)?

Is using two layer sources like this a reasonable approach, or should I
just dump all my shapefiles into MySQL?  I've considered this but feel
that it could be a little awkward as this version of MySQL does not
appear to have native GIS support - my current data structures can
already hold point data, but my "bottom layer" is all polygons.

I'm running Mapserver 3.6.6, Perl 5.8 on Linux.

TIA for any advice.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy