[Mapserver-users] cygwin gdal question ...

Heitzso heitzso at growthmodels.com
Sun Aug 10 00:25:30 EDT 2003

I apologize for this yet-again question, but
I've thrashed gdal/mapserver in cygwin for almost
a day now and have tried most moderately recent
recommendations culled off the web to no avail.
(obviously I haven't tried the right combo)

I have this all running fine on debian-testing,
so know the basics of setting up and running
in a linux environment.

I'm trying to get python mapscript from 4.0
stable to compile in current stable cygwin on
a winxp pro.  I need to pick up ogr/gdal.

I've worked with gdal current stable and also
latest cvs tree snapshot.
In both cases gdal sets up fine.
Mapserver's ./configure finds gdal libraries fine.
The compile appears to run fine.
BUT when I 'mapserv.exe -v' an error pops up
re the libgdal.1.1.dll not being found.
This also blocks 'python setup.py build' in mapscript/python.

I've tried installing gdal to both /usr/local/lib
and to /usr/lib and that doesn't change anything.
Fails to find in either setting.  BTW, I do make distclean
and then rm *.exe and rm Makefile to flush the env
between runs.

I often see references to "... I have it working
but I had to tweak the configure scripts ..." or
" ... I have it working but I had to modify the
makefile ... ".  Okay, what's the trick to finding
libdgal.1.1.dll ?

Please, could someone take a moment and spell out
the recommended way to setup gdal/mapserver/mapscript-python
in cygwin env for mapserver 4.0?

Another clue is I've pulled down python/apache/etc.
through cygwin setup.exe, hence I've had to 'rebaseall'
to get around the apache load problem.  However, I have
not run rebaseall after setting up gdal/mapserver.  Is
this interfering?

Many thanks,
Heitzso