[Mapserver-users] Showing a single point from a DBF file

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Sun Aug 10 23:35:50 EDT 2003

--=======15303795=======

>Now I want to go the other way -- from a given page in our project, say
>"Seals Stadium" and bring up our map of San Francisco with that point
>(only) highlighted. I can do this by manually tweaking the map file:
>  CLASSITEM "ID"
>   LABELCACHE ON
>   CLASS
>     NAME "SSF Map Points"
>     EXPRESSION "2"

No real magic required to do this, and no server side scripting required,
either. But the syntax between 3.6 and 4.0 is slightly different (so get
with 4.0).

In 3.6 your query string should look like:
map=mymap
mode=itemquery
qlayer=stadiums
mapext=shapes
id=2            # form variable passing value for Seals Stadium

Or in 4.0:
map=mymap
mode=itemquery
qlayer=stadiums
mapext=shapes
qietm=id        # name of db field
qstring=2       # form variable passing value for Seals Stadium

And your map file would have a layer like:
Layer
         NAME "stadiums"
         TYPE  polygon
         DATA "stauiums"
         STATUS default

         FILTERITEM id
         Filter "%id%"
         CLASS
                 TEMPLATE mymap.html     # Use to display map
                 OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 0
                 SYMBOL 'solid' SIZE 6
         END # CLASS
END