[Mapserver-users] msProcessProjection(): Projection library error. major axis or radius = 0 or not given

Tom H tom at ecnow.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 18:13:45 EDT 2003

Hi group,

> > If I comment out "proj=latlong"
> > 	PROJECTION
> > 		#"proj=latlong"
> > 	END
> > it outputs a map, and there is no error.
>
> Tom,
>
> You need an ellipsoid definition for the projection definition to
> be valid.
>
> eg.
> PROJECTION
>    "proj=latlong"
>    "ellps=WGS84"
> END

in Section 4 Example 1 - On-the-fly Reprojection at;
 http://terrasip.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/mapserv35?map=/data/projects/tutorial35/s4/s4ex1.map&layer=water&layer=states&layer=relief&zoom=1

in the tutorial for 3.6 there is a projection block for the MAP;
PROJECTION
  "proj=laea"
  "ellps=clrk66"
  "lat_0=45"
  "lon_0=-100"
END

and then subsequent projection blocks for the layers;
  PROJECTION
    "proj=latlong"
  END
where there is no ellipsoid definition for each of the layers.

I downloaded all these tutorial files to my mapserver, which is a binary version 4.0 mapserver
on win2000, and im getting the same "msProcessProjection(): Projection library error.
major axis or radius = 0 or not given" error with the tutorial files.

so was there a default ellipsoid definition for earlier versions of mapserver?

and also;

how do I find out the correct ellipsoid definition for shapefiles and their layers?

Thanks,

T.