[Mapserver-users] Adding a GIF layer to my .map file

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Tue Aug 12 10:42:55 EDT 2003

Add a world file. It is a simple ascii file, having the same name as the gif
file but with .wld instead of .gif as extension. Mapserver will automatically
find the file and use it.
It contains the following lines:
- horizontal (east-west) pixel size
- rotation info, usually ignored, just put 0
- again rotation info, also 0
- vertical pixel size (north-south, so usually negative!)
- x corner coordinate of upper left pixel
- y corner coordinate of upper left pixel

So it just contains 6 lines with each one figure. The numbers should be
conform the used projection, e.g. is your projection in UTM then use meters,
is it unprojected latlon then use DD.

Cheers,
Vincent.

BTW make sure your version of mapserver has gif support, because due to patent
stuff this is normally disabled I think. You can check by running './mapserv
-v' on the command line (if on linux).