[Mapserver-users] digital-ngp releases

pond bear pond_bear at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 13:37:34 EDT 2003

Our project, digital-ngp, has just completed its beta version. Here is the
link:
http://digital-ngp.aero.und.edu/

This project helps people to search and cut images of the six upper midwest
states :
Minnesota,  North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. Our
website is powered by mapserver, php mapscript, rosa applet and oracle
spatial.

Here are the steps to use our website:
1. Link to http://digital-ngp.aero.und.edu/

Our map's default size is 800 x 600 which supports the screen reslution 1280
x 1024.
If your screen reslution is 1024 x 768, please change the map size to 600 x
450.
If your screen is 800 x 600, please change the map size to 400 x 300.

You can control the map size by choosing an option of the drop-down list at
the lower-left
corner of the page.

2. Define an area on the main map using regular mapserver methods such as
zoom and pan;

3. Click the 'search database' botton on the lower-right part of the page;

4. A list of  all images which cover your defined area will be shown;

5. Choose an image and click the 'Show Image' botton at the bottom of the
page. If the
list of the images is too long and the botton doesn't show up, please scroll
down
your page and you will see the botton.

6. The selected image will  show up. Since the images are all very large (
more than
600 MB), it will take about one minute to load the image.

7. After the image shows up, you can do the regular mapserver things such as
pan,
zoom in and zoom out. Each image has 6 or 7 bands. You can choose the band
combination at the left of the map.

8. If you like to cut a part of the image, click the 'Cut Image' botton at
the right of the map.
As an unregistered user, you can only cut a small piece of image of size 100
x 100 pixels

9. Since the landsat data has seven bands. You can choose the bands as you
like to subset.
Now click the 'Continue' button.

10. Your cut image will show up. Click the link to download it.

There some useful functions for the register user. Please register an
account and log in.
At the header of the page, there are two new options for you: manage account
and manage aoi.
Manage account is for changing password and user's profile.

Manage aoi is the key thing. AOI ( area of interest ) is the area for which
you like to search the database often. Instead of panning or zooming to
place again and again, you can define an AOI
and 'jump' to  that place directly.

Ok, let's click the link 'Manage AOI'. There are three options: 'Create
AOI', 'Create AOI by map'
and 'Delete AOI'.

Click 'Create AOI by map', the main map will show up again. Zoom or pan to
the place of your
interest. The blue box is the area of your aoi.  At the lower-right corner
of the page, input your
aoi name 'My new aoi' and click the 'Create AOI' botton. A success message
shows.

Click the 'Home' link on the header. At the left of the main page, there is
a new drop-down list
'View an AOI'. Choose 'My new aoi'  and the main map will 'jump' to the
defined area.

Ok, have fun.

This project is supported by the Upper Midwest Aerospace Consortium (UMAC).

Thanks to MapServer developers and DM Solutions Group for providing such
excellent tools
for us. Thanks Frank Warmerdam for always answering our silly questions and
thanks all
mapserver users who gave us so many good examples and suggestion.

Thank you all.

Digital NGP Development Group:
Team leader : Xiaodong Zhang

Programmers: