[Mapserver-users] gdal deb-package for debian-woody

Benjamin Thelen CCGIS thelen at ccgis.de
Mon Aug 25 12:30:26 EDT 2003

> Benjamin Thelen (CCGIS) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I started to prepare a debian machine for mapserver. gdal seems not to
>> be
>> available as deb-package.
>> Does somebody have experience with debian and mapserver?
>>
>> I suppose the only alternative would be to install via tar.gz.
>
> Benjamin,
>
> Alessandro Amici is working on experimental Debian packages of GDAL.  They
> are available at:
>
>    http://mentors.debian.net/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/gdal/
>
> However, it is also not hard to build and install from the .tar.gz source.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> warmerdam at pobox.com

Hi Frank,

No, I know it is not hard to build and install from the .tar.gz source.
But what about upgrading or deinstalling software built from source? I am
still not a "Unix-Guru" who maybe able to do this. This is why I prefer OS
like debian or x-BSD, which provide a very good software management
environment.

For the start, I did this now, but I am going to test the deb-package
soon. FreeBSD has a gdal-Port!

Best Regards,
Benjamin