[Mapserver-users] Cookie Cutter technique

Matthew Smith matt at kbc.net.au
Mon Aug 25 19:04:10 EDT 2003

Stephen Clark wrote:
> Has anyone tried to use a cookie cutter technique on multiple shape files
> with mapserver.
>
> What I am looking to do is cut out a rectangle of interest from several
> layers of datasets. Each dataset would be cut out individually and
> reprocessed into on or many data files at a later date.

A related question:

I assume that reducing the geographical scope of a shapefile will reduce
the burden on Mapserver (eg: I am working with the road network for all
of Australia; I'm only interested in a couple of hundred square miles).

I would like to be able to use Mapscript (preferably with Perl) to take
a shapefile, define top left/bottom right of a rectangle and create a
new shapefile covering only that area - pretty much what I think Stephen
is saying, only I just want the one layer.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy
South Australia