[Mapserver-users] Cookie Cutter technique

Matthew Smith matt at kbc.net.au
Tue Aug 26 06:42:14 EDT 2003

Arnulf Christl (CCGIS) wrote:

> Hi,
> maybe it would be a good idea for you to check out the possibilities of
> using PostgreSQL/PostGIS instead of plain shapefiles. We have very good
> experience not only considering performance demands but also overall
> handling of the vector data.
> Additionally it is very comfortable to import and export shapefiles in any
> combination or spatial extension by just putting together an SQL select.
>
> Cheers,
> Arnulf Christl

Ah yes, the SQL solution...  All my stuff is MySQL based - I'm just
waiting for PostGIS to work with 4.0, then everything will be easy for
me ;-)

What I may do is to dump the shapefiles into a database (just as float
fields since 4.0 isn't spatially aware) then create new shapefiles using
Mapscript and database queries through Perl DBI.

I am already using a Mapscript/DBI solution to make shapefiles to map
information from a community information database - works well for me,
but would be nice to be able to cut out the intermediate step.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy
South Australia