[Mapserver-users] raster problem: tiled tiff blank

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Aug 26 15:26:52 EDT 2003

uli wrote:
> hi list
> I have tiled tiff images that worked in MS 3.6. With MS 4.0, using the same
> shape with tiles, I only get a blank page. When I reference a single tiff
> with the DATA parameter, they show up perfectly.
> What I checked so far (without success):
> - Created new tiles with gdaltindex. The tiles are in the right place and
> the "location" field contains correct data.
> - Re-built MS --with-tiff and --without-tiff.
> - Re-built gdal with and without
> "--with-tiff=internal --with-geotiff=internal"
> Any ideas? Thanks.
> Uli

Uli,

This is almost always a path issue with the filenames put into the tile
file.  I would suggest running shp2img on your map, and before doing so
set the environment variable CPL_DEBUG to the value ON.  This will cause
lots of debugging into to be put out by GDAL as it tries to open files.
I expect you will see that the filenames passed down to GDAL are not
"relativized" as you expect.  If so, you will need to recreate your tile
index with absolute paths, or relative paths that match what MapServer
expects.

"shp2img -all_debug 1" may also be helpful to see what mapserver is using
for filenames, but I am not sure.

Best regards,