[Mapserver-users] Linux/Apache security wrt shapefiles data

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Wed Aug 27 16:26:54 EDT 2003

yes. this is related to MapServer ;-).

OS: RH9
MapServer 4.0 config-ed and setup correctly.

I have my shapefiles under "/home/pkishor/gisdata"

and the darn Mapserver refuses to open the shapefiles. Error log shows

msSHPOpenFile(): Unable to access file. (/home/pkishor/gisdata/bio)
..

I move the shapefiles to "/var/www/html/gisdata" and everything works
fine.

Apache runs as apache:apache, and in both cases I have chown-ed and
chgrp-ed the gisdata directory to apache:apache, and also chmod-ed it
to 777 for good measure. Why is Mapserver unable to read gisdata
stored in my home directory? I am new to Linux/RH9, so be gentle in
your pedagoguery ;-).

Many thanks,

Puneet.