[Mapserver-users] Re: Linux/Apache security wrt shapefiles data

pkishor_98 pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Wed Aug 27 21:44:26 EDT 2003

--- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, Daniel Morissette <morissette at d...>
wrote:
> Morten Hulden wrote:
> >
> > rwx-----x is enough for your home directory, but the subdirectory
> > inside should be r-x for apache.
> >
> > generally, you need not, and should not give read-permissions to 'others'
> > to you home directory.
> >

> Agreed.  I never tried limiting it to just rwx-----x but that should work.
>
> BTW, does it really matter to remove read access now that Puneet has
> told everyone on the Internet that he puts his data under
> /home/pkishor/gisdata?

you won't believe what I have running here... I recently got my work computer
replaced from a PIII/800MHz/512Mb to a P4/2.4GHz/1Gb with 2x40Gb disks and
WinXP. I installed VMWare, RH9, and am running MapServer 4 inside the virtual
machine. Works like a charm, and I don't have to **** around with two computers.

I can even tell you my username and password and you won't be able to get in ;-)

To the list --

Btw, in my earlier email I said "And next time, instead of spending 20 or so
frustrating hours to figure out such idiosyncracies, just ask Daniel. Merci beaucoup..."
That was meant as a sigh-of-relief and a kudos to Daniel for solving a frustrating
problem for me, NOT a suggestion to send emails to Daniel. I DO NOT endorse nor
like sending/receiving personal and direct emails for trouble-shooting questions...
Please submit all questions to the list (unless you happen to know the recepient well
enough to consider it ok). Submitting to the list always insures a better chance of
answers and it also insures education for all.

Many thanks.