[Mapserver-users] newbee-questions: clients, data access, dynamic layers, cascading servers

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Aug 28 11:31:39 EDT 2003

Frieso ter Haseborg wrote:
>>>1.) What are common open-source web-gis-clients? We just
>>>want to check some alternatives.
>>
>>Not sure what you mean, WMS or WFS client or just a web browser?
>

> Both. WMS and WFS Clients - I prefer browser-based, but if there are
> non-browser-clients - I would at least take a look at.

There are several WMS clients around but you'll find very few WFS
clients. Here are a few links:

- MapLab's MapBrowser is a WMS client:
    http://www.maptools.org/maplab/index.phtml

- Chameleon v1.0 is all about WMS client applications, version 1.1
   still under development will make it less WMS-centric:
    http://www.maptools.org/chameleon/index.phtml

- I believe Degree also has a WMS client:
    http://deegree.sourceforge.net/

- And GeoServer also has at least a WFS client:
    http://geoserver.sourceforge.net/

- Also a 100% client side JavaScript WMS client:
    http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?JavaScriptMapServer

I know this list is very incomplete... these are just the first names
that I thought about.

  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca