[Mapserver-users] Re: unsuccessful with PROJ.4 4.4.7 on MacOS X

William K woklist at charter.net
Thu Aug 28 23:46:52 EDT 2003

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 02:27  PM, pkishor_98 wrote:

> --- In mapserver-users at yahoogroups.com, William K <woklist at c...> wrote:
>> Me again.  Like gdal, I'm not having any problems with proj.4 and
>> MapServer.  I don't do anything special however - no patches or extra
>> environment settings.  Except I build php mapscript instead of perl
>> mapscript (those errors look like they're coming from perl mapscript).
>

> interesting. and I think you are right. From the messages I got while
> building PROJ.4, it did seem like it compiled fine, but the error
> messages were very Perl-ish in nature. Seems like the Perl/Mapscript
> module is looking at some other, perhaps older PROJ.4 library, or none
> at all...

Now that I think about it more, it may not be the perl module itself -
it just shows up as a perl error because you're using perl MapScript.
It could be libmap, that mapscript and mapserv cgi use.  Again, have
you tried running the demo with mapserv CGI?

Whatever the case, it's still strange that mapserver is building at
all.  Hmm, I did notice something with proj.4 once - when updating (I
forget which version) the library name changed as well
(libproj.x.x.dylib), and the older version was left behind.  This
normally shouldn't be a problem (I didn't notice a problem) but maybe
mapserver got confused (somehow) after building about which version to
use.

>> What's the reordering includes thing?  I couldn't find it in the
>> MapServer wiki.  But, I don't do anything like that for proj.4 or
>> mapserver anyways.
>

> well, there is a document linked from the wiki (not on the wiki
> itself) created by Bill Wheaton.

Ah, found it - I didn't look on the right wiki page.  Yes, I remember
looking at the Wheaton's instructions once, but at the time they were a
bit out-of-date, even now it's out-of-date (new: gd 2.0.x, proj 4.4.7,
php 4.3.2, mapserv 4.0).  I followed the proj link to the
remotesensing.org archive, and it looks like those errors are from
Apple's cpp-precomp, and the usual way to fix it is to use
-no-cpp-precomp in the CFLAGS env (setenv CFLAGS -no-cpp-precomp), but
I don't think I ever had to do this for proj.4.

> His notes provide instructions on
> reordering the include files in the geod.c file... doing that seems to
> lead to a successful build (the later Perl-ish errors notwithstanding).

you had to do that for proj.4 to build?  odd.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

"History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
illusion caused by the passage of history."

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
RIP Douglas Adams 1952-2001