[Mapserver-users] Re: [Mapserver-dev] suggestion needed for using mapserver as a generic browser of 2000+ layers of data?

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Dec 8 11:54:07 EST 2003

Stephen,

The limit may not be a problem at all, it depends on how your
applications deals with all these layers in the first place. He are a
couple of thoughts:

1) you can change the hardcode limit to anything you want and
recompile, so set it to 2500 or 3000 it only uses up memory that
would get used anyway if it was dynamically allocated.

2) the limit is only the number of simultaneous layers that can be
loaded into mapserver at a given instance. I think it is highly
unlikely that you will need all 2000+ layers loaded for any map draw.

3) I would assume you would have some front-end that helps the user
sort through all these layers by classifying them in some way and
then letting the user select and browse a few of them at a time. If
this is the case then I would recommend dynamically generating a
mapfile for this user's session that just has the subset of layers
selected. You can enforce the hardcoded limit of selected layers in
your front end application.

4) If you want the user to be able to select layer ordering you would
probably want to do that in the front end application also which
would be another reason to dynamically generate the map files.

HTH,
  -Steve H.