[Mapserver-users] Re: Oriented arrows mapserver

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Dec 9 14:31:25 EST 2003

Hi all,

Another idea might be to create a truetype font symbol to use when
rendering the line so you could apply arrows along the line like
railroad ties. You would have to experiment a little to get the right
look.

A general related problem is how to specify the location of symbols
like this. It would be nice to be able to assume the line is in unit
space (ie: 0.0 - 1.0 from start to end) and then be able to say you
want to apply a symbol or label at some location(s) along that unit
space of the line/polyline. Then something like LOCATE_AT 0.0, 0.5,
1.0 would place the symbol at the beginning (0.0), the mid-point
(0.5) and the end (1.0)

Or for street segments that have a direction attribute, I would like
to style them with an indication of street direction, like an arrow
in either the from-to direction of the to-from direction. This could
be sorted out using classes if I can generate the arrow to align with
the street.

-Steve W.