[Mapserver-users] Open source databases

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Dec 22 11:45:33 EST 2003

With PostGIS you most definitely can, that's it's purpose !

MySQL has spatial support, though I haven't used them myself.

MapServer has great support for PostGIS, and not so mature support for MySQL

I'd recommend PostGIS myself, great piece of software !

J.F.

-----Original Message-----
From: mapserver-users-admin at lists.gis.umn.edu
[mailto:mapserver-users-admin at lists.gis.umn.edu]On Behalf Of BAUD remi
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 11:37 AM
To: mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu
Subject: [Mapserver-users] Open source databases

Hello the list,

I'm currently working with shape files for my database. I have develloped
some functions with MapServer and PHP allowing users to enter new
informations such as points and attributes in my database.

Do someone knows if it's possible to store geometrical objects in DBMS like
Postgis/PostGreSQL database? I know we can easily store attributes, but what
about objects? Is it possible to do this with MySql?.