[Mapserver-users] Problems with demo...

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Tue Dec 23 12:26:05 EST 2003

Pablo -

Thank!  That's VERY different from a "black" image, as you'll come to understand <g>.

What that means is that the map image is not accessible to your browser.  This can have a few causes:

1. The tmp file directory path is not correct.
2. The Web server does not have permission to write files to that directory
3. The tmp file URL is not correct.

But the MapServer CGI is running!

First, look at the source of the HTML page you have (with the map frame and controls).  You should be able to find the URL of the map image.  Is that URL what you expect?  The URL should be pointing to a file in your tmp directory.  Does it do that?

If it looks like it's a reasonable URL pointing to the right directory, look in the tmp directory.  Are there any images there?

I'm guessing, but the most likely cause is that you have not given the anonymous Web user (the IUSR_<machinename> account, typically, on IIS) permission to write files to the tmp directory, so MapServer cannot generate the output images.  By default, anonymous Web visitors don't get ANY permission to write files on your server, so you need to be sure your Web server is set up to do that.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com / Maps a la carte, Inc.