[Mapserver-users] httpd-error.log: Incompatible libpng version

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Dec 24 09:45:23 EST 2003

thelen at ccgis.de wrote:

> gd (I use 2.0.15) does not carry its own internal copy of png.h, but gdal
> does:
> /usr/ports/graphics/gdal/work/gdal-1.1.8/frmts/png/libpng/png.h
>
> And you are right! This is: libpng version 1.0.6 - March 21, 2000
>
> So, it is a gdal (and/or a FreeBSD Ports) problem! Isn't "application"
> then in this case gdal??
>

> What can I do then?

You need to force GDAL to use the system version of libpng. GDAL has the
following configure option:

   --with-png[=ARG]        Include PNG support (ARG=internal, no or path)

So you should add "--with-png=/usr/local" to your GDAL configure options
and rebuild.

> And why does this error not occur with MapServer 3.6.6?

Probably just a coincidence related to the order in which symbols are
loaded. You definitely have two copies of libpng loaded in memory at
once in both cases (i.e. in 3.6 and inb 4.0), but in one case the
problem happens and in the other you're lucky enough that the program
always uses the right symbols and doesn't produce the error.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca