[Mapserver-users] OT: Db Logic for Address Query

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com
Thu Jan 2 14:03:55 EST 2003

Sorry for the slightly OT question...

I'm building an address location tool using TIGER data as a base. I have all
of the attribute data in a DB. When I execute the query, I return the
shapeID, and use this to process the address in MapServer.

I'm trying to figure out the logic for doing an address query. In TIGER
data, addresses are broken out into:

  Right and Left Ranges (TO FROM, 4 fields)
  Prefix
  Name
  Suffix
  Type

So the address:

  3645 East Washington Avenue North

would be comprised of data from 5 fields. Right now I have my front-end set
up so that the user has to enter each component separately (i.e. there's a
field for range, prefix, name, etc.). Yet, I've seen on other address
location tools the ability to enter this entire string into one field.

How does a query like that work? How would one parse out what should be in
each field in order to execute the SQL correctly?

Any pointers (tips or sources of info) would be appreciated.

Chip Hankley