[Mapserver-users] Fastest Data Format

Steve Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Jan 2 17:22:30 EST 2003

I think it's safe to say that for general purpose use local shapefiles
are the fastest for query and rendering. There is simply less overhead,
especially if they are indexed. The fancier you need to get
(pre-filtering for example) the better the other options may be since
their SQL engines are superior.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Shannon Scott" <sscott at gwi.net> 01/02/03 03:23PM >>>
Hello,
Does anyone know which data format performs the best?  For Rendering?
For Queries?
I am really wondering about shapefiles versus postgreSQL and PostGIS...
but I also am curious how SDE with Oracle, and Oracle Spatial rate
against the others.

Any Info is appreciated.
Thank You
Shannon