[Mapserver-users] Fastest Data Format

Shannon Scott sscott at gwi.net
Fri Jan 3 07:55:14 EST 2003

Ed,
Thank you for taking an interest.
Please let me know if this is not the type of info you are interested in.

RedHat Linux 7.2
I plan to use these national datasets.

Census Tracts  - poly
States ( detailed )  - poly
Parks  - poly
3 Hydro layers ( generalized for scale )  - poly
Counties  - poly
Rail  - line
Local Roads - line
State Routes - line
US Routes - line
Highways - line
Cities/Towns  - point

Much of the data originally came from the census tiger files, but has been
modified.  We query the City point layer for County Seat and State Capital,
and apply the appropriate symbology; the other layers are not queried...
just rendered ( with the exception of the tracts ).  The data is stored in
decimal degrees, but rendered in the local UTM zone.

Our application allows the user to perform their own analysis, and then see
the results.  In the software I currently use ( SDE/ ArcIMS/Oracle ), we
need to create a table in the database to render the result map ( Tracts
Layer ).  I think I will need to create the table with mapserver also, so I
am looking at moving to PostgreSQL DB because of the cost savings over
Oracle.

Do I need to create a table for mapserver to render the values?
Can mapserver join a table from an RDBMS with a shapefile, or does the
spatial data also need to be in the RDBMS?

Thank you for any help.
Shannon