[Mapserver-users] Open Source economy 101 ;) (was: Fastest D ata Format)

Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Fri Jan 3 13:34:33 EST 2003

Heh, time for me to interject :)

You both make very valid points, but they are not mutually exclusive.

First, on the issue of paying or not, and who pays for what, I'd have to
agree with Daniel on the fact that if a feature is so important to someone,
then they can pay for it (We payed for the HTML Legend :), it's all a matter
of how much that feature is worth to you.  BUT, I would also say that if
there are several groups looking for a specific feature, nothing is
preventing them from putting their financial resources together in order to
hire a third party to implement a specific feature in a hurry.  If GAIA, DM,
AND NRCan were interested in DB Connection pooling, all could share in the
cost. Heck, even competitors could get together to pay for a feature, funny
how that works huh ? :) (Oh and NO, we have no need for that feature, sorry
:) Also, an expense for a feature enhancement can (should?) be concidered as
an investement, since such feature might allow for new business
opportunities and new clients ... I'm sure someone could make a business
case around this concept.

>From our stand point, having been on the paying end of things, I think of it
as "the least we could do" ... As we take advantage of free software for
years on end, and take advantage of the generosity of others, it seems only
fair we return the favor :)

As for the voting system, it's allready kind of in place.  Bugzilla supports
voting for bug fixes and new enhancements ... Maybe this feature could be
turned on and promoted as a way (THE way?) for the community to ask for new
features/enhancements or even bug fixes that are deamed important by some.

And yes, it is unfortunate in some ways that MapServer isn't GPL, because
I'm sure there are LOTS of enhancements to MapServer that exist out there
that were never returned to the community, which is unfortunate. We often
hear talk about CFX's for MapServer, or a COM implementation ... I know of
at least one instance of this occuring. Not to mention this also creates
duplication of effort in many cases I'm sure.

My .02$
J.F.