[Mapserver-users] Mapserver to SVG Demo

Jeff Hoffmann jeff at propertykey.com
Mon Jan 6 10:51:59 EST 2003

Geoff Anderson wrote:

> Here's the Mapserver to SVG Demo.  It loads the current Mapserver map
> image into SVG. The image is not converted to SVG, just provides a
> raster base map over which SVG stuff can be implemented. On browsers
> where the SVG mouse events work, users may "digitize" points and query
> PostGIS by point coordinates (which might be correct...).

That's pretty cool.  I've been thinking about playing around with a
similar concept, although purely vector based (or mixed vector/raster).
  Have you tried doing something like this except using the WFS output
available in mapserver 3.7-dev version & running the output through a
gml2svg XSLT?  It seems like that should be a pretty straightforward
process.  I'm really new to the whole SVG thing but just recently I saw
a demo where you can dynamically modify the SVG in the client and
thought it'd be a great way to create annotatable maps in a web browser.
  Now it's just a matter of finding the time to play around with it.

> Please let me know if anyone wants the PHP source.  It's not pretty, but
> it seems to work.

Do you know of a good tutorial on the web when it comes to scripting
inside the SVGs?  I think that's where the biggest learning curve for me
  would come into play.

--

Jeff Hoffmann
PropertyKey.com