[Mapserver-users] Raster support - JPG problem

Zatorsky.MichaelP at police.qld.gov.au Zatorsky.MichaelP at police.qld.gov.au
Tue Jan 14 18:40:23 EST 2003

Hi,

I have a number of raster images of topographic maps in jpeg (JPG) format.  The images are projected into a regional transverse Mercator projection and display perfectly in ArcView & ArcExplorer using a world-file and in MapInfo using a TAB registration file.

Each image is between 2-4 MB and has dimensions of approximately 5000 by 5000 pixels.

I am currently using MapServer 3.6.3 with GDAL support (pre-compiled Windows binaries) and GIF output.

When I attempt to load the image into MapServer as a layer

	LAYER
	    NAME "sheets100k_images"
	    DATA "images\topomap_100k\au7669a.jpg"
	    STATUS DEFAULT
	    TYPE RASTER
	    PROJECTION #MGA Zone 56
	        "proj=tmerc"
	        "datum=WGS84"
	        "lon_0=141"   # central meridian, zone 54
	        "sf=0.9996"
	        "y_0=10000000"
	        "x_0=500000"
	    END
	END

... I receive the following error message:

	CGI Error
	The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

	JPEG parameter struct mismatch: library thinks size is 432, caller expects 464

If I convert the image to a TIFF, and rename the file in Map file, it displays perfectly.  The fact the JPG is readable by everything else I have that reads JPG suggests the problem is not a corrupt image.  The fact the TIFFs work suggests that there problem isn't with the projection complications.
(The problem with the TIFFS is that even with LZW compression each image is between 30-40 MB, and I have 200 of them, so a highly compressed format like JPG is valuable).

Is there a known problem with using JPG as an input data type in the version of MapServer I'm using?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards
Michael.

Michael Zatorsky
Manager, Geographic Information Services
Queensland Police Service
GPO Box 1440, Brisbane, QLD 4001, AUSTRALIA
p. 07 3364 4384
f. 07 3364 3942
e. zatorsky.michaelp at police.qld.gov.au

CONFIDENTIALITY:   The information contained in this
electronic mail message and any electronic files attached
to it may be confidential information, and may also be the
subject of legal professional privilege and/or public interest
immunity.  If you are not the intended recipient you are
required to delete it.  Any use, disclosure or copying or
this message and any attachments is unauthorised.  If you
have received this electronic message in error, please
inform the sender or contact securityscanner at police.qld.gov.au.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been checked for the presence of computer viruses.