[Mapserver-users] PostGIS / Shapefile Performance Question

John Deck jdeck at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jan 15 12:57:48 EST 2003

To be fair to postgis you will want to make the comparison to shapefiles
with a local install of postgres/postgis only.  Having postgis reside on
a separate machine can drastically impede performance.

In my own experience shapefiles are a tad faster than postgis for
querying single polygons and drawing them.  However, I haven't delved
into tuning postgis/building spatial indexes and performed any advanced
queries either.

John