[Mapserver-users] Raster support - JPG problem

Hankley, Chip Chip.Hankley at GASAI.Com
Wed Jan 15 13:46:00 EST 2003

Michael,

As Norman and Daniel pointed out, there are known issues with JPEG and
MapServer.

That said, I had a similar problem some months back trying to serve up JPEG
images to MapServer. I did some experimenting and was finally able to get a
JPEG image to come up in MS (sorry, I can't remember exactly what I did),
but the performance was terrible.

My assumption is that MapServer has to somehow uncompress the JPEG images
before rendering them as part of the final image, and that this was the
cause of the performance hit (if I simply swapped the data source to a TIF,
there was no performance problem). I have no idea if my assessment of how
the mechanics of JPEG rendering is correct... but in the end, I concluded
that the trade-off for space savings with JPEG didn't make up for the
performance hit I was taking.

...just my experience.

Chip