[Mapserver-users] TrueType Font and Label Angle

Jonathan W. Lowe jlowe at giswebsite.com
Thu Jan 16 22:36:07 EST 2003

Questions (for Daniel?) about the freetype1 vs. freetype2 problem:

1) Why does the same version of gd + freetype2 result in a successful
mapserver compilation (i.e. no label angle problems) on RedHat 8.0, but
not on FreeBSD?

2) If freetype2 is a problem, why is it the default in the mapserver
Makefile?

3) And, if there is a bug in freetype2, rather than avoiding freetype2
altogether (an endeavor raising its own set of problems), why not get
the bug fixed?  Is it a known bug?  Has anyone from the list identified
the bug and/or contacted the freetype developer(s) to report it?

(If this is much easier said than done, please forgive my naivete.)

Thank you,
Jonathan Lowe