[Mapserver-users] raster image server: optimal performance

Richard Greenwood Rich at GreenwoodMap.com
Thu Jan 23 11:31:40 EST 2003

--=======27F14429=======

It's hard to add much to Ed McNierney reply, but I would emphasize the use=
=20
of image pyramids which can be created with gdaladdo. Color versus=20
grayscale will not make any difference if you use an 8 bit color pallet. I=
=20
use a single 200 color pallet for all my imagery (both color & grayscale)=20
this guarantees that adjacent tiles look similar and leaves 50 colors for=20
other purposes.

I've also had pretty good luck with ecw compression of grayscale images.=20
Unfortunately this is only an option on windows. The color ecw looked=20
pretty bad, but I expect we'll see improvements with 24 bit color in ms 3.7.

Rich