[Mapserver-users] mapscript seems to be fubar

pkishor_98 <pkishor at geoanalytics.com> pkishor at geoanalytics.com
Fri Jan 24 00:21:12 EST 2003

Steve L, Lowell, others,

I seem to have fubar-ed my perfectly working copy of mapscript, and
can't figure out how to set it right.

I rebuilt mapserver 3.6.4. Straight, no frills --

./configure --with-jpeg --with-gd=../gd-1.8.4 --with-png=/usr/local/lib

Got the usualy slew of messages and warnings and what-not, and then
mapserv is built just fine --

[lucknow:~/Projects/mapserver/mapserver-3.6.4] pkishor% ./mapserv -v
MapServer version 3.6.4 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
SUPPORTS=TTF INPUT=TIFF INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=JPEG INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Then I do the perl Makefile.PL, make, sudo make install dance, and
mapscript.pm  gets built and installed in its correct place. But
nothing works with perl. Trying out the simplest dump.pl, I get

[lucknow:mapscript/perl/examples] pkishor% ./dump.pl -file=~/dap.shp
Can't locate object method "new" via package "shapefileObj" at
./dump.pl line 18.

and so on. When I turn diagnostics on, I get --

[lucknow:mapscript/perl/examples] pkishor% ./dump.pl
-file=~/Sites/palatine/data/dap.shp
Can't locate object method "new" via package "shapefileObj" at
./dump.pl line
        19 (#1)

    (F) You said to do (or require, or use) a file that couldn't be
    found. Perl looks for the file in all the locations mentioned in @INC,
    unless the file name included the full path to the file.  Perhaps
you need
    to set the PERL5LIB or PERL5OPT environment variable to say where
the extra
    library is, or maybe the script needs to add the library name to
@INC.  Or
    maybe you just misspelled the name of the file.  See perlfunc/require
    and lib.

Uncaught exception from user code:
        Can't locate object method "new" via package "shapefileObj" at
./dump.pl line 19.

I know that mapscript.pm is in my @INC which is --

/System/Library/Perl/darwin
/System/Library/Perl
/Library/Perl/darwin
/Library/Perl
/Library/Perl
/Network/Library/Perl/darwin
/Network/Library/Perl
/Network/Library/Perl

because make install put it there --

[lucknow:mapserver-3.6.4/mapscript/perl] pkishor% sudo make install
Password:
Installing /Library/Perl/darwin/auto/mapscript/mapscript.bs
Installing /Library/Perl/darwin/auto/mapscript/mapscript.bundle
Files found in blib/arch: installing files in blib/lib into
architecture dependent library tree
Installing /Library/Perl/darwin/mapscript.pm
Writing /Library/Perl/darwin/auto/mapscript/.packlist
Appending installation info to /System/Library/Perl/darwin/perllocal.pod

I am at a dead end. Any suggestions as to where I should begin looking