[Mapserver-users] ECW files

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Mon Jan 27 21:27:54 EST 2003

--=======748E4F2B=======

At 11:42 AM 1/28/2003 +1030, you wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>I'd like to use an ecw file in a Mapserver application and need some
>clues.
>
>I'm using Mapserver 3.6 binary on a Windows NT box.  It's all running
>happily, though all files are presented unprojected.
>
>Firstly, http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/frmt_ecw.html doco says
>maximum ecw filesize is 500MB, and the dataset is larger than that.
>Any clues on software that can uncompress, clip and recompress?

http://www.ermapper.com/ has free uncompress and compress tools. The viewer
(which does the uncompression) can write out a world file. GRASS is my
choice for clipping or tiling. And I think there are some performance
advantages in using a tiled set of images even when using sophisticated
compression like ECW or MrSID.

>Secondly, doco says certain SDK dll's are required and suggests
>location in the 'same directory as the GDAL DLL'. I found the SDK
>library, but I can't find the GDAL DLL on my machine.  Where does the
>GDAL come from?

http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/

>Thirdly, I'm worried about projection.  The ecw is in UTM Zone 53
>South GDA94 (=WGS84 horizontally) and I want to project to Albers,
>already configured.  I this object adequate:

Be sure you set Albers in the main section of your map file (outside of a
layer definition). You might consider reprojecting from UTM to Albers when
you tile.