[Mapserver-users] PostGIS questions - help with mapserver

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Tue Jul 8 12:53:13 EDT 2003

Zamil Murji wrote:
> Maybe so, I didn't see anything in my error logs and this is the only error I received from mapserver...

The postGIS connector would have reported this error if it couldnt
connect to the database.  I dont know why it didnt actually make it to you.

msPOSTGISLayerOpen(): Query error. couldnt make connection to DB with
connect string 'host=hydra port=6543 dbname=mum user=chodgson'.
Error reported was 'could not connect to server: Connection refused
         Is the server running on host hydra and accepting
         TCP/IP connections on port 6543?
'.

This error occured when trying to make a connection to the specified
postgresql server.
Most commonly this is caused by <br>
(1) incorrect connection string <br>
(2) you didnt specify a 'user=...' in your connection string <br>
(3) the postmaster (postgresql server) isnt running <br>
(4) you are not allowing TCP/IP connection to the postmaster <br>
(5) your postmaster is not running on the correct port - if its not on
5432 you must specify a 'port=...' <br>
  (6) the security on your system does not allow the webserver (usually
user 'nobody') to make socket connections to the postmaster <br>
(7) you forgot to specify a 'host=...' if the postmaster is on a
different machine<br>
(8) you made a typo <br>