[Mapserver-users] Using TIGER files

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Jul 17 17:41:22 EDT 2003

The TIGER/Line files by themselves are not useful for creating a map.
You would be better off getting some shapefiles. Also MySQL is not
really supported for doing JOINs with shapefiles. I think your
options are:

1) extract the demographics data into DBF files that you can join
with the shapefiles - this means you have to have a common attribute
in both the shapefile DBFs and demographics DBFs to do the JOIN on.

2) load all the shapefiles into PostgreSQL and load the demographics
into it also.

You also should work out a trivial test case so you know what the
requirements of all the pieces are before you try and do this with
TONS of data only to find out that it doesn't work the way you
thought it would :-/

Can anyone speak to which versions of mapserver support JOINs? I
think you have to be on either MS-3.3 or MS-4.0 to get JOINS to work,
but I'm not sure.

-Steve