[Mapserver-users] rubber sheeting

Jan Hartmann jhart at frw.uva.nl
Fri Jul 18 11:37:13 EDT 2003

The problem is that AFAIK all these rectifying routines are computed
globally. You can use of course a higher order polynomial, but even so
the placement of every control point will affect the whole map.
Moreover, you can't use very high polynomials and too many control
points. What I am looking for is something that will do *local*
transformations based on nearby control points, and stretch the results
together some way. Those old maps are generally correct on small
subregions, but the subregions fit in no way together. There is
certainly no numerical soluton for it.

I used GRASS to rectify the old map I showed at the MUM (online next
week). When you use one set of control points, you get an unbelievably
correct map for one part of the town, and a distorted one for other
parts. If you put your control points in some other part, that one will
get georeferenced correctly, and the first one is off. If you put
control points everywhere, distortions will be averaged out, no matter
what kind of polynomial you use. That is not what I am looking for.
Rubber sheeting is a dirty way of doing the job; it will never give a
perfect match for the whole map, but it gives something to work with.

ArcInfo does something like this, but I don't know how they do it, and I
would like to implement this for local history research here in
Amsterdam. Many people would love to look up matching points on old maps
as a hobby, and would be able and willing to contribute to a
reconstruction of the whole map in a geometrically correct way. It is
just too bad that we can't afford ArcInfo in every household :-) .
That's why I'm looking for a public domain solution. Again, it is a
difficult problem and probably requires more fundamental research. I
could use some pointers on this from more mathematically oriented people.

Jan