[Mapserver-users] Mapfile format in XML

Paul Spencer spencer at dmsolutions.ca
Sun Jun 1 00:20:23 EDT 2003

No, although this has been discussed extensively.  If you search the
list archives I believe that for the near term the decision was that XML
would likely add too much overhead (especially if it validates) to the
parsing process (and probably adds an additional library dependency on
something like xerces) and no real benefits.  The MapServer developers
place a high emphasis on keeping the core of MapServer lean and mean so
it can perform very well in high-load situations, so I believe that it
is unlikely that a compelling argument for XML could be made that would
influence the core developers.

If you really believe strongly in it, though, you can do it yourself and
then try to sell the idea (ah, the beauty of open source ;)).

The capability that Gerald refers to is an XML format for a
"map-file-like" document that describes WMS layers only, and does not
directly include the ability to style layers, add labels, and all the
other cool things that MapServer can do via the MAP file.  MapServer
support for Contexts requires the GDAL library and parses the XML using
the GDAL minixml driver, which is a non-validating parser.  This format
is probably of very little actual benefit to most MapServer users except
those that use WMS.  The Context document itself is meant primarily as
an interchange format that allows users to share views.

Cheers,

Paul