[Mapserver-users] Mapfile format in XML

Thorsten Fischer thfischer at mapmedia.de
Sun Jun 1 06:55:03 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 23:07, Morten Nielsen wrote:
> Is there any plans on upgrading/supplementing the MAP format to XML ?
> It would make a lot of things easier
>  when processing the Map file in other
> scripts (not to mention the validating that a DTD could offer).
>
> XML is the future :-)

The future of what ... I recommend reading the following before trying
to squeeze xml into any and every place just because you can.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?XmlSucks

http://xmlsucks.org/but_you_have_to_use_it_anyway/does-xml-suck.html

Also this has been brought up a couple of times; search the mailing list
archive for xml and mapfile to see the debate.

hth,

thorsten