[Mapserver-users] Creating Shape Files

Alexander Pucher pucher at atlas.gis.univie.ac.at
Mon Jun 2 14:19:53 EDT 2003

Hi Aaron,

shapelib (http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/shapelib/index.html) could be
of interest for you.

regards
alex.

Aaron Kreider wrote:

>I'm trying to convert my data into a format that can be used by Mapserver
>(or more specifically Mapscript). The data currently resides in a regular
>mysql table.
>
>Does Mapserver only use shape files? And if so, how do I create a shape
>file?  I've searched to find free utilities (I do not want to buy Arcview
>3) that will do it for me or to try and find an explanation of what the
>format is (so I could do it myself), but haven't found anything.
>
>I'd appreciate help on this.
>
>Aaron

Institut fuer Geographie und Regionalforschung
Universitaet Wien
Kartografie und Geoinformation

Departement of Geography and Regional Research
University of Vienna
Cartography and GIS

Universitaetstr. 7, A-1010 Wien, AUSTRIA

Tel: (+43 1) 4277 48644
Fax: (+43 1) 4277 48649
E-mail: alexander.pucher at univie.ac.at

FTP: ftp://ftp.gis.univie.ac.at
WWW: http://www.gis.univie.ac.at/karto
Virtual Map Forum: http://www.gis.univie.ac.at/vmf
There are only 10 kinds of people who understand binary digits:
Those who do, and
Those who don't.